Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums

Re: Coin Collectors' Corner

Hi @tyme I have various websites that I use. This site is where my thirst for silver coins came from.

https://www.aussiecoinsandnotes.com/ 

But when interested in a particular coin I do a search on it, as other site can be cheaper.

Another good one is Downies. 

https://www.downies.com/ 

I have created an Excel spreadsheet where I have about 30 different websites, and will type in how much the coin costs and them how much postage is and see which one is the cheapest. But I also check out ebay. 

On a couple of occasions I have found some companies have the coins cheaper on eBay than in their own website. 

But just be mindful when shopping on eBay for silver coins. Because if the price is too good. The coin could be a fake.

Good afternoon my coin collecting friends. 

I thought I should give you a warning about fake coins that are out there.

In chinese zodiac I am a dog. So I searched for a coin. And found some that were a lot cheaper than the $140 that The Perth Mint, who made it, was selling them for.

Here is The Perth Mint's coin.

02-australian-lunar-silver-coin-series-ii-year-of-the-dog-2018-1oz-silver-coloured_straighton.jpg

03-australian-lunar-silver-coin-series-ii-year-of-the-dog-2018-1oz-silver-coloured_obverse(1).jpg

Now here is the cheaper fake coin.

Screenshot_20240831_161641_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240831_161646_eBay.jpg

The picture of the fake coin here is frosted, but the one I purchased one for $4 dollars knowing it was fake, was shiny just like The Perth Mint's coin. because at the time. The only difference was it was for 25c and not $1, plus my fake one didn't have a years on it.

And the way you can test if it is silver (or gold), is put a magnet next to the coin. If it sticks to the coin, it is fake.  If not it is silver. Same thing applies to gold coins. So you need to be wary. Even some suppliers of coins have been sent fake coins and unknowingly sold them on to customers. 

Unfortunately there are scammers out there in the coin community as well. 

Even making fake error coins. For example, in 2007 some 5 cent pieces were minted with the Queen's head on both sides of the coin. This coin is said to be worth around $3,000. And some scammers have apparently stuck two 5 cent coins together and tried to sell them off as the error coin. So make sure you do some research before you purchase.

@tyme @Harmonium @Shaz51 @Asgard @rav3n @Snowie 

I shared with you all earlier my Phoenix coin which I use as inspiration to never give up. And after reading the information that came with The Dandelion coin, it really resonates with where I am at in my journey. 

I will share some of it with you.

In this series of coins that I am slowly getting, The Dandelion represents 'a wish come true'.

Unlike most other plants, the dandelion accounts for numerous myths and superstitions that are specifically related to its seed head. Some say that wishes made while blowing off the plant's seeds will be granted, others that you can send a message to a loved one by concentrating on what you would like to convey while blowing the seeds in their direction. 

Dandelions are linked to perseverance, strength in adversity, clarity of purpose and are thought to impart lion-like courage and bravery even in everyday battles. They are said to represent the qualities of warmth, radiance, illumination, healing, hope, transformation and growth. 

I think I need to plant some of these close by.

Australia Post is set to release an all-new range of collectable Bluey coins and stamps on September 2.

The designs for the coins in the Bluey collectables by Australia Post have yet to be revealed. However, expect to see Bluey, her family and friends featured in the set of 10 $1 coins.

Bluey fans will also have a one-in-10 chance of discovering a special edition coloured Bluey coin. As if the Bluey coins aren't special enough.

Also up for grabs is an exclusive Bluey Stamp pack including 12 exclusive Bluey House shaped stamps and an enlarged look-a-like stamp.

You may also want to pay in cash at Australia Post between September 2 and 29 (or while stocks last). Participating post offices will be offering $1 Bluey and Bingo coins in your change, giving you the opportunity to receive a rare memorabilia by chance.

These gorgeous Bluey treasures will be available for purchase from Australia Post on Monday, September 2. No pre-orders are available for these items, so fastest fingers win (if you're buying online). Purchase limits may apply to give everyone a fair chance.

Find out more here:

https://australiapostcollectables.com.au/collecting-month/bluey-collectables-2024 

Hi @Harmonium I haven't thought about selling them to upgrade, that is all to much for my head to cope with at the moment. I get overwhelmed too easily these days.

But you sound like you have looked into it. I think that is exactly what my nephew is thinking with the coins he has purchased, as he is always looking for ways to make money.

I just wish I was able to display my coins, so I could appreciate their beauty every time I look at them. But currently they are locked away in a case. Another reason why I am hanging out to get government housing, since that is all I would be able to afford.

I am so sorry to hear of your sister's passing in 2015. My condolences 😢

I wish you all the best in your investment plan. I am not game enough to try my hand at buying coins to sell to make a profit. I will leave that up to my daughter once I pass. Lol

I basically buy the coloured coins that involve something that I am interested in, or I think are pretty. So they are not always the best ones to make a profit from.

I wouldn't even know where the best place is to sell coins. A few of the websites that I purchase coins from, offer to buy coins as well. 

I have purchased a few coins from Nova Coins and Janelle who runs the business is very lovely and will go out of her way to help you. This is the link to her website regarding selling coins.

https://www.novacoins.com.au/pages/sell-your-coins 

This is another business that I use that also sells coins.

https://melbournecoinshop.com.au/buying-selling-through-arcan/ 

Hope this helps.

Hi @Harmonium I love the idea of naming children after flowers or gems. I love the name Ruby and I have a niece called Crystal lol 

Unfortunately I spend most of my time living in a cabin at a residential caravan park, so I have no garden. But after reading about the dandelion, I was thinking maybe I could get some smaller pots to put on the small veranda out the front.

dandelions-66719_1280.jpgHave you seen a yellow dandelion?

I always thought they were just the white ones shown in this picture.

I use to have a green thumb, but since the depression kicked in full force, I have lost many plants, as I don't look after myself, let alone remembering to water plants outside. I usually have the curtains drawn, so I don't see much of the outside anyway. 

I am feeling a shift in the way I have been thinking lately, so you never know, it might be something I could enjoy at a later stage. I didn't read the information that came with the Rose coin, but after finding out about the dandelions, I think I will read the information on the Rose, when I go into the case next. I do like expanding my knowledge, but I need to be in the right frame of mind to do so. 

I hope you have had an enjoyable day 😊

Hi @Mustang67 how did you go with the Bluey release today? It was bigger than Ben Hur! I was at Australia Post because of course, I forgot to enter the ballot. Brain like a sieve somedays. So then I remembered and drove straight to Aussie Post and there was a line up and finally I got two rolls and I’m trying to decide if I should crack one open to see if I got a coloured one. The coloured proof would have been a smart buy! 

Did anyone have a win in the Bluey ballot?

Dandelion’s are wonderful Mustang! Not sure if I wrote this already but the roots make a delicious tea (a top coffee alternative) and the leaves are rich in all the good stuff for wellbeing. A friend of mine has grown blue chicory or dandelion and eaten it all his life an he’s 89 and going strong - we all think it’s his dandelion dish which he steams and enjoys with lemon, garlic and olive oil. 

IMG_5900.jpeg

IMG_5899.jpeg

I think they release 1 Beat Ty Rich And Rare coloured coin per year through the RAM : ) or so it seems. There are three so far - just google it : )

IMG_4255.png

IMG_4254.png

World Heritage is lovely too. 

by the way, I read something about coloured coins not being as good an investment as the proofs because the colour covers the metal work and it’s still relatively new. So non coloured or proofs are probably the best way to go in general as you noted with your silver/bullion observation. I found that interesting and as always there is so much to learn. 

P.S. I finally landed the latest bluey colour coin at auction for a silly sum of money and will basically be eating cardboard for the next fortnight so I can stash that coin in my cupboard lol. 

Hope you are well @Mustang67  and @tyme 

Here are the pictures of the Christmas Florals that have been released. Some main places have sold out already but if your interested I can let you know some places I go

17058 (1).jpg

17058 (2).jpg

17058 (3).jpg

17058 (4).jpg

17058 (5).jpg

17058 (6).jpg

17058 (7).jpg

Most places are selling them for the RRP of $17.50.

I got one through the ballot system but the colour is random. 

I gave one of last year's Christmas Florals to each of my family members, thinking if my local newsagent has them for sale again this year, I might do the same again this year.

@Harmonium @tyme @Shaz51 @Asgard @rav3n @snowie

They have also released a Medallion collection if anyone is interested.

I loved Skippy as a child so have ordered the 

2024 Skippy the Bush Kangaroo Kids Showtime Greats PMC

16948.jpg

 I purchased it from Australia Post for $35 and received free postage. 

They also have these to choose from. 

17074 (4).jpg

Dot and the Kangaroo 

17074 (2).jpg

Blinky Bill

16951.jpg

Babe 

17074 (3).jpg

Round the Twist (never heard of this one)

17074 (1).jpg

@tyme @Harmonium @Shaz51 @Snowie @Asgard @rav3n 

Or if your a Holden fan they currently have a Sandman Medallion 

resized_1500x1500.jpg

I usually only collected PNC's which had the envelope with stamps and a decimal currency coin, but saw some nice Medallion (PMC) to do with sports that I watch, so am expanding my collection.