Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums

Re: Coin Collectors' Corner

@Mustang67
I think this is a good way to get into gold coins too… This 1854 Indian Princess, pre civil war, 90 percent gold encased in 14k rose gold, wearable and a great conversation starter that would attract conversations from other collectors. A solid investment too:
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/1639506220/estate-antique-1854-us-1-dollar-liberty?click_key=9ce1780...

IMG_5560.jpeg

IMG_5561.jpeg

 plus, checked the values for this coin slabbed and it is up there in rarity with only a few good examples. 

Hi @Harmonium 

When I purchase the silver coins, I am always thinking of them as an investment for my daughter. I have seen pure silver coins that have no colour and they are called investment coins. But when they released the 125th Perth Mint Anniversary Silver coin, they had one that is a 1oz Proof Coin and then another is 1oz Bullion Investment Coin. The Bullion coin's price changes according to the silver price at the time of purchase. But this coin is around $50-$60 to buy, which is a lot cheaper than the Proof Coin.

1oz Proof Coin1oz Proof Coin Investment CoinInvestment Coin

I did ask on one of the Facebook coin pages, which one would hold it's value for investment purposes. And the answer was the Proof Coin. So basically the Proof Coins are normally limited in their production, while the investment coins have a higher production.

For example this Proof coin was limited to 10,000 being minted, while the Bullion coin has a mintage of 150,000. So the proof coin is rarer, therefore should sell for a higher price. 

I am hearing you regarding a gold coin, and I happen to have one. And I purchased it purely as investment.

2023 $5 Mini Money Emu ½g Gold Frosted Uncirculated Coin2023 $5 Mini Money Emu ½g Gold Frosted Uncirculated Coin0003608_mini-money-emu-gold-coin.jpeg

This cost $100 for ½ gram of gold. I was not sure what I was expecting to arrive, but the coin is absolutely tiny. It is probably about the size of a finger nail. For me, this is the only gold coin that I would be able to afford. (only if I can pay off over time) LOL

I also love the 2023 50c Elizabeth Regina HM Queen Elizabeth II Commemoration Coin In Card. I didn't manage to purchase one when they were first released, so ended up paying the marked up price. 

I have purchased the Royal Transition - 2023 Last Elizabeth II $2 & 2024 First Charles III $2 Al-Br Coin Pair

Last Elizabeth First Charles.png

This place is also selling the set you are after for $29.95

First Elizabth First Charles.png

https://www.downies.com/products/1984-first-elizabeth-ii-1-2023-first-charles-iii-1-al-br-coin-pair?... 

As far as the silver coins, they should come in a coin capsule. So they need to stay in the capsule and make sure that you never take the coin out and touch it without wearing cotton gloves. But if you do get a silver coin without a coin capsule, you can easily buy them online. I would go for the more expensive varieties, as they provide better protection.

I love talking about coins and doing research. It calms me 😍

I love the emu one! Do you have one? Is it a very small coin? @Mustang67 

Hi @Harmonium 

I love the Beauty, Rich and Rare Collection. I have the Twelve Apostles and the Daintree Rainforest 1oz Silver Proof Domed Coins

33496-5 (1).jpg33496-4 (1).jpg58237.png58237 (1).png

Unfortunately the Great Barrier Reef Coin is out of my price range at the moment. But if any money comes my way, I would love to purchase it to finish off the set.

I am not into coins regarding the royal family, but I won this coin from Tik Tok.

2013 $1 175th Anniversary – Coronation of Queen Victoria 1oz Silver Proof Coin2013 $1 175th Anniversary – Coronation of Queen Victoria 1oz Silver Proof Coin

One of the coin groups on Facebook often shows the older coins like what you showed. And I find them very interesting, You asked a interesting question regarding who once faced right like Elizabeth during the years between between Queen Victoria and King George. I have no idea. Lol

Hi @tyme yes I do own the emu one. It is tiny. I was so shocked at how small it was, but I suppose it is only ½ a gram of gold, so I don't know how big I thought it would be. Hehehe

@Harmonium The 1854 Indian Princess is lovely.

My nephew has seemed to take the same path as you looking into gold coins and rare items etc. I showed him my collection of coins and he was obviously hooked, and he has purchased a lot since showing him, and he often sends me screen shots of gold items that he is looking at.

As for me, being on Centrelink payment, I know I can't afford stuff like that, so I don't even bother looking. Lol

I am so excited. The place that I ordered my  €10 Language of Flowers - The Rose and The Dandelion ½oz Silver Coins from, has just found The Forget-Me-Not coin and will sell it to me for the same great price that I purchased the other two coins for.

The RoseThe Rose The DandelionThe DandelionThe Forget-Me-NotThe Forget-Me-Not

@Harmonium @Shaz51 @Snowie @tyme @Asgard @rav3n 

Hi @Mustang67 I’m on a pension so I feel you, but part of me wants to believe that I could sell something and reinvest in a higher value coin, so on and so forth.

I once watched a show where the main protagonist started with $10 and kept trading until they had enough to buy a car!

So I know it’s possible : )

I want to teach this to my little one and that is how I would like to support them to grow a little nest egg.

I will reread and digest what you wrote!  Thank you for your insightful experience : )
Gold is small, but worth every bit its weight. My late sister designed software to trade various things and tracked various things including bonds. Before she passed in 2015 she said she thought gold would reach $2800 per oz. Guess she was right. Back then it was under 1k! So thinking we’re nearing the peak of her insight. Still, there is an upward tick for a bit at least. 
Have you considered trying to sell for a profit and buying larger higher ticket coins. 
With your research capabilities it looks like you’ve surpassed the most common pitfalls. 
I’ve not done it yet but am capacity building and gathering the courage to begin. 

I know, it’s hard to turn them over but I am beginning to think that’s the key. Trying not to get attached. Perhaps marketing coins (I can bear to part with) for a profit and flipping them will be my next step and help me get into the next league. 
I love the Beauty Rich and Rare series, those are all-time keepers! Ultimately, my take is any coloured coins from a new series with low mintage are likely to make gains. 

It’s just nabbing ones that I’m willing to part with…that’s tricky. And then where to sell them, or trade…

@Mustang67 

My great grandmother had a truckload of kids and named them all after flowers. Violet, Gladioli, Lilly, Rose, Jasmine, etc. Rose was my fave name of course, but Glad was my nan : ) It was so sweet I thought I might follow suit with kids names but I didn’t have enough to get on a roll. At one point I was fixated on gems: ruby, jewel, crystal, jade, onyx, amber (not a gem but hey). 
I guess that’s what the flower series represents to me…it takes me back to that family story. Right back to the beginning. 
I wonder if, as you gather these, you might consider growing the flowers as well?

I might try to as you collect them because ta a lovely burst of inspiration. I’ve always wanted to grow chamomile. And did you know dandelion's are a health food? The roots for brewing into a coffee like substance and the leaves have been renown for curing all sorts of ailments including serious ones. Anyway, I’ll have to read up on forget me nots and see if I can find a cutting. 
Thanks for the wonderful journey into coins!

Amazing @Mustang67 , I didn't know such coins existed? Where do you look?