Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums

Re: Topic Tuesday// NDIS, Disability & Mental Health// Tues 31st January 2023 5:30-7:00PM

@MyLife_MyWay 

Thats a very complex question - advocacy services for disability related issues are available in various forms - my first suggestion would be looking at Disability Advocacy NSW (https://www.da.org.au/) to better advise. 

Re: Topic Tuesday// NDIS, Disability & Mental Health// Tues 31st January 2023 5:30-7:00PM

@Former-Member 

Hi Im a new contributor - hope I can follow!

I'm a Queer person with a permanent disability (currently also motor-impaired with an injury so typing is tricky and slow), lived & carer experience, also a MH First Aider, Therapeutic Arts Counsellor, looking to apply for NDIS, also seeking employment.

@Former-Member I am in Victoria, but I have literally contact somewhere between 30 and 50 organisations, each of them around 2 or 3 times each. I can't even get onto a waitlist!

Thank you for joining us!! @NBB Great to have you with us tonight reading along 🙂

@chibam 

Its a bit interchangeable - essential a mental health issue or mental illness as you have termed it is the diagnosis, e.g. Major Depressive Disorder. The psycho-social disability comes from the impairment of such a diagnosis. The NDIS will be looking at the impairment from the diagnosis when considering assistance. 

Our next question is ...

What is the process of determining eligibility for & access to NDIS? What ‘evidence’ might I need? 

@Former-Member 

@JaneyC do you mean unable to access the NDIS?

A test for eligibility for the NDIS can be found at: https://www.ndis.gov.au/applying-access-ndis/am-i-eligible

There are requirements for:
- age (7-65 for the main scheme).

- residency (citizen, permanent resident or special category visa holder).

- disability requirements (a permanent and significant disability noted as requiring support).

TYVMuch!