Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums

Re: Topic Tuesday// NDIS, Disability & Mental Health// Tues 31st January 2023 5:30-7:00PM

Thank you for joining us! So glad you could make it, and thank you for sharing your journey 🙂  @AuDHDpug 

Re: Topic Tuesday// NDIS, Disability & Mental Health// Tues 31st January 2023 5:30-7:00PM

Hello @yitty 

It can be tough however there are mechanisms via the NDIS that can assist with these issues. If your son has a psychosocial disability he may be eligible for support coordination and plan management. 

Have a look at this:

https://www.ndis.gov.au/participants/using-your-plan/who-can-help-start-your-plan/support-coordinati...

G'day, 

From recollection, i joined the NDIS when i was an LAC (2015 if memory serves) - it took me a while 😄 @greenspace 

He has a Support Coordinator. I find the system clunky, staffed by poorly trained people and goals are ignored 

@AuDHDpug 

It's difficult to comment with too much information however what i would say is that i know and have seen many people with this exact disability and type receive funding. The issue lies with the evidence - strong evidence from a psychiatrist, psychologist, GP or OT regarding level of functioning can assist with avoiding rejection and receiving appropriate funding. 

Not sure how to ask a question - hopefully I have this right. I have been trying to apply for NDIS unsuccessfully for a few years now. It went to the AAT but the first conference was adjourned as the NDIA wanted to better equip themselves to take me on ( I had them spinning, lol). I was advised by the mediator that I need to now get representation as it will get tricky from now on, but after months of calling every advocate I can find (30-50 different organisations), I have had no success. I have had 2 reschedule 2 conferences already due to not being able to get representation/an advocate. What can I do to get one? Feeling quite desperate!

@yitty I can relate to that. Sorry you find the NDIS distressing. I often do too. I'm an NDIS participant with psychosocial disability, and I used to be a carer for my mum (she had dementia). It is tough being a carer while dealing with your own mental health struggles

@Former-Member wrote:

The NDIS (National Disability Scheme) is a federal government initiative to fund the disability needs of Australians. The NDIS aims to assist those with a permanent and significant disability as defined:

- A 'permanent disability' means a person's disability is likely to be lifelong.

- A 'significant disability' means a disability with a large impact on a person's ability to complete everyday activities.

This includes mental health (psychosocial disability) issues which are noted as ongoing and effecting a persons life in some way.

Interesting.

"Psychosocial" is a word I've been trying to pin down a meaningful definition for for years now.

So essentially, "psychosocial disability" is just another phrase for "mental illness"?

Thanks so much @Former-Member
And you are right, that is the common thread that I seem to see with that kind of feedback, in that the individual has been prompted to provide further evidence.

In your experience, do you recommend that individuals seek out a support coordinator to assist with the NDIS application rather than attempting to complete on their own?

The NDIS is a funding program and federal agency meant to support people with a disability to cope and to improve their participation in society.