Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

JackDog9
New Contributor

TW: TBI, alcohol, marijuana and possible delusions

Hi.

Is anyone able to give me any ideas as to what to do? I am currently in family court with my children’s father. He has a history of substance use disorder (alcohol), recreational marijuana use, major depressive disorder and anxiety. He has frequently accused me of all sorts of things like stealing his money, sabotaging his family, abusing the children, stalking him, stalking his girlfriend, accessing his devices, throwing bricks at him, etc, none of which I’ve ever done. It seems like it beyond the realms of lying as he seeks to genuinely believe these things have happened. There is now an expert psychologist report before the courts stating he appears to be of sound mind and that these things have actually happened. 

If feel completely sick and beside myself myself. How on earth do I prove it’s his mental health issues and nothing I’ve ever done? He’s absolutely convinced things have happened and describes situations that sound like they like could be true except I know they’re not. 

He claims he’s now sober and has submitted a letter from his dr. I can see on his medical records he was drinking to the point of black out. He’s still on antidepressants. Apart from that it shows he suffered a moderate traumatic brain injury 15 years ago when he was punched and knocked out, and was unconscious for 3 hours. Could this brain injury be a possible cause for his alternated state of mind? 

For reference I don’t drink, or do drugs, and have never been concussed or lost consciousness. I don’t know anyone else will say he’s delusional because they also think what’s he’s saying has happened in real life. I think his family might know but won’t say anything.

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1

Re: TW: TBI, alcohol, marijuana and possible delusions

Hey @JackDog9 ,

I'm sorry you are in a bit of a sticky situation. I hear your hesitations and what's happening for you. 

I read that you have been accused of things, yet I also read that your children's father has a history of substance use and isn't well. Is that fair to say?

With the psych report, is it independent, or did he find this psych? That can make all the difference.

There seems like there is quite a lot of history that the court will take into consideration.

Although we can't give you advice, we can support you emotionally through this difficult period. I sounds like it's been a lot for you to contend with.

Do you have supports in place for yourself?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance