Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Candice_Lyle
New Contributor

Stuck

Hi,

I'm new to this forum thing. I've recently been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and I haven't been given any coping mechanisms yet. Nor have I really talked to anyone about it because no one in my life understands or wants to understand. If anyone could offer any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Stuck

hi @Candice_Lyle and welcome to the forums
I have BPD myself and possibly share some of the things you experience. Can I ask if you have any professional supports?
it can take some time to work out what might be most helpful for you. what ill do is share some threads here for you to look at that have some coping strategies, this way you can have a look in your own time and might feel less overwhelming then giving you a heap of things that may work for you.

please also feel free to have a look around and join in where you like. and a little forum tip is to put an @ before a members name this way they'll receive a notification your talking to them.

Got a coping strategy that you find good? Share it here 🙂 

Coping Box 

these 2 threads here are filled with some coping strategies you may be interested in. 

kidist
New Contributor

Hi,

I am a socail worker currently working in mental helath.

Here are some coping strategies you can use for now. I will be making videos on coping mechanisms for BPD in the next couple of weeks. so i will post the link on this chat for you when its ready. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcK3i5zYna8

Sharkcat
Casual Contributor

Call support lines and talk about it .

it helps me when I'm needing help.

see you be strong 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Candice_Lyle welcome, good on you for joining this and reaching out. If you have any questions feel free to ask members or the mods. I hope you feel safe and supported here.

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, sometimes it helps though having one, to figure out treatment, etc.

I'm not too sure about coping mechanisms for that one, because I struggle with things myself, and I don't have Borderline Personality Disorder (well not that I know of anyway).

Sorry that I'm  not much help, I hope others can assist you and give you some tips. Best of luck.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Sharkcat sometimes helplines don't help and you can't get through

Hello @Candice_Lyle 

I am glad others have responded.  I think it is great @kidist  posted actual strategies.  There needs to be far more direct conversations on managing diagnoses rather than simply getting a label.

@Candice_Lyle  welcome... Many people- even medical professionals- unfortunately don't understand BPD. I have suffered from it officially for nearly 18 years, and relapsed not long ago so I hear where you're coming from. 

Some people try CBT or DBT- for me though, they didn't help. The movie 'Girl, Interrupted' is based on a survivors story of BPD and I found it useful when trying to explain what it's like to have it to others, although gone are the days you can go to a video store and hire it 😣. It may be available online, not sure which company though (Netflix etc) . There are some very useful clips on YouTube. Search for '#IAmBorderline' or 'Olivia Rose'. 

Having a strong support network is vital- GP/psych/counsellor etc that you trust and can be totally honest and open with. 

Hope some of these suggestions help!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance