Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Yeahright86
Contributor

I gave my Schizophrenic stepmother the responsibility to feed her own dog.

It's getting too much for me to feed her dog and my dog. Time and time again. I will prompt her at lunch to see if she didn't forget.  I do not want to tell my schizophrenic father to feed her dog because he would make a big mess outside with food scraps over feeding the dog with inappropriate foods that attracts rats. I told him many times not to do this and tried to teach him to be reasonable but he keeps doing the same thing again.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: I gave my Schizophrenic stepmother the responsibility to feed her own dog.

Hey @Yeahright86 ,

It's good you are about to speak out since it is getting too much.

Are you able to set up an alarm or anything?

Hope your day has been okay.

I need to get that happening for my stepmother at least because dad doesn't use phones. I think I'll organise some signs around the house with instructions. They have difficulty remembering pushing the dining table in for instance, so I'll have to make a sign to prompt them to do so.

I made a list for my stepmother regarding foods to eat so she doesn't make a big mess because she doesn't clean up after herself. It's a start! 

Sorry if i sound ignorant, but is it their mental health, age or other factors which makes these everyday tasks difficult?

I read that you mentioned 'schizophrenic stepmother' so is it their mental health? Sorry, I don't know much about schizophrenia at all.

@Yeahright86 I think it is quite reasonable for you to have done this and shows your step mother that you are putting in boundaries so you don't become overwhelmed. I think the reminders are thoughtful of you, while still allowing your step mother to take the responsibility. 🙂

Hey @Yeahright86 ,

How are your attempts getting your stepmother to feed the dog?

Hope you are okay. 

She needs to be prompted every time still. I think this is why I gave up and decided to take on her responsibilities.  There was a lady that is helping her get the NDIS. My stepmothers paper trail from hospitals was missing because the hospital in the 90s when she first got diagnosed got knocked down. 

However the lady that is helping her managed to find the missing documents and reapply her for the NDIS. So I'm relieved she will be getting social support soon. For now I'll continue to prompt her.

Prompting her is probably good. It gives her a sense of achievement that she's done something. I'm glad to hear that she is getting some support. That's really important too. There's only so much you can do and we don't want you burning out. @Yeahright86 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance