Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums

Re: Coin Collectors' Corner

@Judi9877 

My mum use to collect coins while she was alive too 

Woohoo! @Judi9877  Bluey coins! You got them!!???? I love them!

So great to see you here on this thread. I'm loving coins.

I am so excited right now. In the coin groups on FB they have what they call dips, where you buy a number (s) for a chance at winning different expensive or hard to get coins. On this occasion I purchased two numbers for $10 and one of my numbers came up.

I won a graded 2011 50c triple zero anniversary coin.

1000011546.jpg

I love this coin, but I was not willing to purchase it at the price people were asking. Lol

@tyme @Shaz51 @Judi9877 @Harmonium @Asgard 

Hi @tyme . Thanks for replying to my post. Coin collecting is an interesting hobby and 1 that can be done with not much effort if people like to collect coins from their change, like I did initially. I’m glad you like coin collecting! 

My housemate tried to get the Bluey $29 collection on the Monday when they were released via the Auspost website in the morning but the page kept on crashing and had issues with the payment and the internet in general- she’s with Optus - and she thought she’d missed out. She asked me to try via my iPhone and my internet connection- I’m with Telstra - in the afternoon and I was able to get through and place an order for 2 sets (1 for each of us) so I was successful in the ordering and payment section. The only stress was the issue with auspost needing to confirm the payment due to security reasons/issues with the collection which took 4 days with me having to call auspost to ask what was going on and if I was going to get my order. Within an hour of the call, I got a confirmation email and the coins arrived yesterday morning. As you may be aware, there was a big demand for the whole collection, especially since people know that different countries like the US are crazy for all things Bluey, and they were aware that some people were placing big orders so they could onsell them for a massive markup on the internet, which is why auspost had to be extra stringent over how many people ordered online. Apparently, I heard that some people lined up at auspost shops and purchased huge amounts and wiped out the supply before others could get them, most likely to sell in the internet as I stated before, although I do believe there was probably some genuine buyers as well who wanted them for their own collection or for their children/grandchildren as well. 

Judi9877☺️🌻

Hi @Shaz51
Thanks for replying to my post. I’m glad I have something in common with you. I still have my mum’s coins in my collection which I treasure.
Judi9877

Hi @Mustang67 . Thanks for replying to my message. I didn’t know about the storage of the coins - they’re still covered in the cardboard packaging (Bluey coins)- and will probably stay that way until I know what to do with them. I’d really like to get a coin from 1977 - my birth year- but I’m unsure if that would be even possible. A girl can always dream I guess! I also like collecting coins from different countries - I’ve had some coins appear in my change at different times over the years - and think they are special to me, especially since I’ve never been overseas and don’t plan to (Antarctica is a dream holiday of mine if I ever win some big money after studying some subjects at uni). It’s like a little bit of the world in my collection which I’m proud to have even if the coins aren’t worth anything. I am now also thinking of looking into coins that get released that I might like to collect as I don’t really use cash anymore to pay for goods and services. Like you said, they may go up in value and be worth something later on if I ever need the cash

which could be very helpful to me. The only thing I’d like to consider valuable besides coins in my life is a Harry Potter Lego train set which I’ve had for many years - when Target used to do the toy sale in July for Christmas back in the day which I lined up at 7am for to secure it. My housemate is a big Harry Potter fan and often tells me she’d buy the train set off  me but I keep holding onto it incase it goes up in value. The things you do!

Judi9877

Hi @Judi9877 I found a proof set of coins from your year of birth on this website.

https://melbournecoinshop.com.au/product/1977-proof-set/ 

1000011553.jpg

1000011556.jpg

At a quick glance this shop was the cheapest at $60 for this set. This is the best quality of coin you can get. Your lucky, depending on how many coins were minted in your year of birth, it dictates how expensive the sets will be. And by that price I would say there was a fair amount of coins minted. My year of birth must have been not as many, as the price for my year is around $175. But it definitely pays to research and look around for the best price.  I have created a spreadsheet that I use, with about 50 different coin shops on the Web. And I will search each site for a particular coins⁰, and see who is the cheapest including postage. 

I wasn't going to collect coins from other countries, but some were so beautiful that I couldn't resist. 

This one is my favourite 

1000011557.jpg

And since I was born on the date man first walked on the moon, I couldn't go past this coin. I haven't received it yet, but it should arrive any day now.

1000011558.jpg

If you want to buy new coins when they are released, businesses and the Royal Australian Mint have set up a ballot system now, that you enter into, and then you will get an email if you have won the right to purchase that coin or not. My first one was unsuccessful, but have managed to win the others I have entered into.

This is supposed to stop people buying a heap to sell for ridiculous prices. Most shops these days will apply a limit on how many new release coins can be purchased, to try and help the actual collectors obtain these coins, instead of the greedy people that are only in it to make money. 

@tyme can you please explain to me. What is all the hype about the Bluey coins.  Am I missing something?

Morning @Mustang67 , @tyme , @Judi9877 

I am loving seeing all these wonderful coins 

Nice work! @Mustang67

How do we find these FB groups? What’s the best one?