Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

ButterflySky970
Contributor

support

Is there any zoom meetings carers can link into for support

13 REPLIES 13
hanami
Senior Contributor

Re: support

Hi @ButterflySky970 

We don't at Sane but wondering if this may help

https://www.carergateway.gov.au/about/peer-support-groups?cta 

Hanami

@hanami 

There is a general carers zoom meeting with carers nsw 

BUT

I was wanting to link up with other parents of children with interleccual delays

hanami
Senior Contributor

@ButterflySky970 

I've not heard of any but hopefully someone else may know and be able to help you.

I was recently in touch with Carergateway and there are none.  However if you call them they can organise free counselling.  As for carer support groups, they told me they are looking into it as people have requested it.  If you let them know you are interested in a carer support group it will let them know there is demand for it and start one up.

Hey @ButterflySky970 , I wonder if facebook has links to groups. Or even your local nurse/GP?

Another option may be ReachOut's Parent/Carer's forum? You may be able to find people going through something similar. https://parents.au.reachout.com/

How old is your child, if you don't mind me asking?

@tyme  He is 17

Does he go to school @ButterflySky970 ? Or have supports outside @ButterflySky970 ?

Being a carer can be lonely sometimes. It is understandable you want to connect with others.

I'm wondering what you think will help?

hi @ButterflySky970

Carers gateway can provide counselling
there are also forums for parents as well that i can see that @tyme has linked in for you

i am a carer myself and although i havent seen any specific zoom meetings sometimes facebook groups will set up chats and that sort of thing.
Have you tried to search on social media outlets? ive found those useful in the past.

Its not zoom here but im happy to chat to you anytime you need

Hello @ButterflySky970 .

I’m not a parent, but I work with young people with disabilty, including those with intellectual delay. 

I’ve seen the joy of parents and I’ve also seen the hardship. When the kids are young, it’s easy to pick them up or help with with dressing and feeding. But as they get older, it’s a totally different ball game.

As teenagers, Their bodies are changing faster than they know it, so then it’s about trying to help them understand what’s happening. With this comes to moods, the emotional turbulence etc.

I can only imagine the struggles one may experience.

At the same time, we remember what these young ones have had to endure to get to where they are now. It’s not easy. They are little battlers. Their smiles can melt any heart.

As a parent, what is something you’d like to share about your journey with your son? (No pressure of course. Totally okay if you prefer not to share)

Hope to see you around. Please take care and look after yourself.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance