Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

CatherineT
New Contributor

Psychotic episode

Hi there - just looking for some advice please. My beautiful 19 year old daughter unfortunately had a psychotic episode around 6 weeks ago. She has suffered with anxiety since Grade 6 but really got on top of that over the years. She made us aware from the age of 16-17 that she was using weed occasionally. She bravely then moved out of home which we were so very proud if her for - as she wanted a career in theatre - and knew that this was something she needed to prove to herself she could do if she wanted to follow that path. 

This then let to using weed or more - everyday after work to relax and eventually she starting using it more. We didn’t realise how much. 

She then  tragically witnessed her 7 year old puppy being killed by a car. 

Shortly after this she had a few other things happen at her work and had a big night on weed and psychotic event occurred.

it’s been a journey and a half and taken her anxiety to another level - almost back to when she was in Grade 6. She hardly drives, won’t go out without us or perhaps for only short periods of time, has had to stop work and she feels so depressed a lot if the time - as her whole live, independence has been pulled from under her. 

she is living with us, has lots of love and support from family, friends and government support plus on anti- Pshy drugs etc. 

just wondered if your family/friends have had similar journeys and how have you dealt with it?

we just want her to get back to her normal. 

any advice round be appreciated. 

mant thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Psychotic episode

Hi @CatherineT 

I just thought i would say hello.

I feel your pain. 

Your daughter ventured out with your support and that is great.

Now she is back so that is also great that she feels safe with you.

You are doing something right!

It does not feel like it sometimes.

I am sure someone will pick up your forum. Some do at night.

You are not alone

Hi Catherine 

I understand this is a hard time for your family, our family has had/has a similar experience with my brother. Your daughter is lucky to have an amazing support network around her, many don't. 

The most important things for us have been consistancy with meds (this took a long time), no weed or alcohol (an ongoing battle), time, patience & support and education for the family and my brother. 

My mum has joined a local support group for carers of people living with mental health & thats been really helpful for her. 

For us, we have had to accept a new normal with my brother. I wish you guys all the best x

Thankyou 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance