Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Cats23
Casual Contributor

Newbie to BPD

Hi everyone just wanted to introduce myself I'm from South Australia and I've only been diagnosed with BPD in October 2019 after my mum died in Feb 2019. It's all still very new for me. Just looking for a community who can support me through this journey because I really can't do it alone. You never really understand it till you have it. I want to improve I just find it's so hard to without the right support. I have a psychologist and I'll hopefully be starting DBT in Feb but it's still really hard. I recently had an admission to a psych ward because of my extreme paranoia and thoughts of suicide and hurting myself. I managed to finish uni but just as my life was about to start I fell backwards again and dropped so far into the deepest hole. My mums death rocked me because it was the end of the only life I knew. My mum had a stroke 13 years ago but I grew up living with my nan. 
I get into really negative headspaces to and I just can't seem to speak out or share anything when I'm in the headspace. It's hard so any advice or support would help me heaps. 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Newbie to BPD

@Cats23  Hey Cats23 and welcome to the forum :). Firstly I would like to give you my condolences for the death of your mother. I hope that you will find some solace here on the forums amongst friends. We truly are a kind and friendly bunch of formites who have a variety of mental illnesses, or who are carers or even both like myself :). You might like to have a look around the board at the various threads. Some you might like to have a go at are the Good Morning!  thread and A long rave . If you are into getting fir there is one which I am on called My fitness journey  all of which you are more than welcome to contrbute to. Just remember to put a @infront of people's names if you want to talk with them directly so that they get a notification of your post.

I hope to see you around the forum. Love greenpea

Hello @Cats23

Sometimes a diagnosis can open doors and give us helpful ways of understanding being and life and death.  Knowing your mother had a stroke is a lot for a child to carry. You probably have lots of mixed feelings about it all.  Hope the forum helps a little.

Smiley Happy

@greenpea @Thanks for welcoming me Into this group and for suggesting other things I should check out. I was 9 when my life changed completely when mum had the stroke. I barely managed for awhile and now it's all catching up with me. 

thanks for your love and support.

@Appleblossom 

Yes definitely a lot of mixed emotions about it all which can be really confusing and come out in various ways. It was definitely a lot to carry as a 9 year old and having to grow up changed my whole life. There were many times I needed my mum but she wasn't able to be there emotionally and sometimes even physically. She lived in supported living accommodation after rehab and things so the relationship changed a lot. 

Even as a child, you knew she could not help it, so no point in blaming, but needs go unmet.  I have needed to reparent myself in many ways, though my mother's health was nowhere near as bad.

Have a LOT of patience with yourself. @Cats23  Its a big load.

Smiley Happy

hello @Cats23 and welcome
I too have BPD so can possibly relate to quite abit of what you experience as well.
@Sans911 @BlueBay may be able to offer some advice too Heart

Hi @Cats23 

welcome 😊

I'm sorry about your mum passing. 
I have BPD diagnosed back in 2010. It's been very difficult. I'm in early 50's. 
Over the years I've had many psych hospital admissions. 
Happy to chst agsin 

thanks @outlander for tagging me 

@Cats23 Hi... I'm very newly diagnosed myself.  It is kinda surreal right now.  It all makes so much sense but at the same time it kinda feels like a kick in the teeth.  I always knew I was different but I had finally gotten to a place where I felt that my "different" was a unique and wonderful thing.  Now I find out that it was just mental illness... bummer.  Nice to "meet" you.  I hope we get to chat sometime.  It is really helpful to know that you are not alone in this.

@BlueBay  I'm also in my 50's.  Wish I had known SO much sooner.  I am struggling to understand why now.  Why didn't someone see this before.  Why didn't I figure it out sooner.  Or why didn't the doctors know when they were handing out antidpressants.  I'm both relieved and angry at the same time, if that makes sense.

hello @ETBug , @Cats23 , @BlueBay , @outlander , @Appleblossom , sending you tender hugs xoxo

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance