Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Yeahright86
Contributor

Multiple sclerosis & Schizophrenia

I got diagnosed with MS early this year it hit me hard as my biological mother passed away with it. 

Treatment has come a long way and the disease modifiying treatment (DMT)  is helping to slow the progression. 

I can't do the work I use to which was physical so currently unemployed and waiting for DSP approval.

I live with my parents they both have schizophrenia and it's hard as they get older.  They have no support. I have my NDIS for myself and my stepmum got pushed back from her application and she will try again when she receives more documents regarding her condition. 

My father is due for Aged Care but doesn't want it yet. I can only help them so much and not enough. So I cancelled my CARERS application. I'm just incapable to help them.

That being said I really would like to connect with people in similar situations that can relate and make friends. Isolation is pretty bad. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Multiple sclerosis & Schizophrenia

You are in a very vulnerable position and so are your parents. @Yeahright86 I do hope the DSP comes thru.  I am probably more your parents age, but I also had 2 parents with that diagnosis.  It is no easy task to live with and be a child in that situation.  Tag me if you want to talk.  There are more people joining and so a wider community is growing here on the forum. 

Good luck with it all.  

Apple

Hi @Yeahright86 

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to hear about your MS but so glad treatment is slowing down the progress. It still must be tough at times to deal with the diagnosis. Glad you have NDIS though, that must help. You have a lot on your plate with parents having schizophrenia. Gosh, that must be tough at times. I'm so glad you have reached out and found us here and hope you find some connections.

Looking forward to seeing you around

Hanami

Thank you so much for your reply! I believe I can handle things better with new medication to quiet the mind. It gets noisy in there sometimes. Hope you're well and thank you for the response.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance