Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Little_Leopard
Senior Contributor

Looking for a mental health OT and recovery coach

Hi there. My partner was just accepted onto the NDIS. We are looking for a trauma informed recovery coach in annd also a mental health Occupational Therapist. If anyone could share the names any organisations or services that would be much appreciated. Regards

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Looking for a mental health OT and recovery coach

Just being mindful of anonymity (in terms of location), perhaps members can share how to find these organisations and services?

To be honest, I don't even know myself. I know the names of a few of the main organisations, but I'm not sure if they have OTs and recovery coaches....

But @Little_Leopard , I do have to say congrats for getting the NDIS for your partner. Now it's about how to spend the funds 🙂

Thanks @tyme. I have removed information about my location to protect my anonymity. Thank you for the kind reminder!

If you don’t know @tyme  . Do you mind sharing the names of some of these organisations and then maybe I can do some of my own research to see if they offer the OT and recovery coach services that I need.

I need to have a moment of honesty here and just say that im a bit disappointed in their lack of skill even in the MH field. I feel that it’s very pushy, mainstream and rigid. That’s literally the opposite of what most of us really need. I really want to find a health team who are person lead and don’t just think about lining their own pockets.

End rant lol

You could try Facebook groups or word of mouth to find a recovery coach that works for you. My support worker found a coach this way I think it was Wellbeing Coordination, they have OT too, but not sure if they still accepting people? 

Hey @Little_Leopard ,

How are you going? Any success looking for supports through the NDIS?

@MelbMotion  It’s so fats to find a mental health OT. They seem to have massive wait lists or are not taking new clients. I also have trust issues so even once I find one I know that I will freak out and try to back out.

lol the joys of trauma.

Hey @tyme

Well I thought I found an OT who I thought was perfect but then found out she was located in a different state and she was uncomfortable doing a functional capacity assessment via Telehealth. Mental health OT’s do it all the time but it’s her choice so oh well. I was so upset but I made sure that I didn’t avoid or dissociate my emotions which is a really big victory for me. 
I will keep searching. I have an appointment with an LAC tomorrow so am hoping that she can possibly point me to the good places.

Thanks for checking in @tyme. How are you, what’s news?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance