Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

aworriedwife
New Contributor

Husband in mental health ward

Hi everyone. My husband who is 48 is having his first bout of phycosis. We don't know why. They have put him on respiridone and he has been detained for 10 days now . I have only known him for 3 yrs so I don't know his full history but we think a similar thing happened 4 yrs ago when he split with his wife. He also has a chronic back injury and doesn't work . I am his carer . We spend 24/7 together so we are both finding this difficult. He has been a pot smoker for back pain and I have noticed this has increased lately . I noticed him getting manic and paranoid about 3 mnths ago . It came to a head 2 weeks ago when he woke me at 2 am to show me a science experiment that somehow prooves God exists . He has also been talking to my brother who is deceased and he never met him. Although he is getting better I have no idea what to do from here on.
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Husband in mental health ward

Hey there @aworriedwife,
Firstly, you need to take care of yourself for a few days whilst he is being taken care of in the hospital, meet a friend for coffee or take yourself to a movie, you may be facing a few challenges ahead so whilst you don't need to be the carer right now, look after yourself.
Hopefully your husband will be stabilised with medications whilst he is in the hospital. Ensure you are happy with his medication mix before they release him. Then regular check-ins with your GP to monitor the meds and get a mental health care plan so he can see a psych. Go along with him to the psych appointments if it makes him more comfortable in the beginning.
Keeping open communication and good routines is key to moving forward. He needs to form good sleep patterns and take his meds regularly, it is hard to stay on top of this without sounding like you are nagging but ultimately it needs to be done until he is happy to take responsibility for it himself.
Stay strong, and reach out of you need to chat or need advice. There are so many amazing people here and whilst all our ideas and advice may work with varying efficiency depending on your situation, usually someone is able to say, yep I have been through that too which often helps in itself!
Sending big hugs,
Tigs
xx

Thanks

Fantastic advice from @Tiggeroo

@aworriedwife did you manage to take some time out? How are things with hubby - has he returned home? I hope that you're ok, and that hubby has gotten better. 

CherryBomb

@aworriedwife hi. I really feel for you. My 17 year old was in a metal health ward for 10 weeks in a drug induced psychosis. It was awfull, seemed never ending and left me feeling helpless. You mentioned that your hubby uses pot? Perhaps this habbit has contributed somehow to the illness? my son was smoking heavily before he became very ill. You mentioned that he was hospitalised 4 years earlier? Was he on regular medication when he was discharged then? I think you may have to ask your partner to be frank about his mental health history when the time is suitable. You afterall, will be caring for him. I wish you all the best, these are very trying times, and you must remember that your health and wellbeing is important-so that you can be there for you husband. Be sure that your hubby follows up any appointments with the Mental Health Team and once again, talk with him, ask him to be honest, so that you can understand his state of mind. Stay strong.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance