Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Unemployed

Hi everyone 

today feels very strange 

it's the first day of not having a job 😢

hubby told me last night "oh it'll be like a holiday"

no it's not. I'm not going anywhere. I'm not sightseeing 

it's not exciting 

it's not a holiday 

I'm home alone

bored emotional 

no motivation 

House is tidy 

dinner half organised 

what do people do when you're not working 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Unemployed

Hey @BlueBay.
Are there any skills you want to learn or hobbies you'd like to take up? Free short online courses related to your interests, or YouTube tutorials could be something to do. But if you can it also might be good to look for things to do outside with other people to break up the day, or even just "sightseeing" in your own area, taking a book and packed lunch for a picnic in a park etc.

Do you have any ideas of things like that that could work for you?

Just to add, when I was unemployed I spent my time between job applications pretty unwisely by just gaming, watching TV series and movies, and chatting to people online. Fine to do in limited time periods, but not so good when it's all I was doing. So that's why I'm recommending if you can get some sort of group activity (even learn yoga in the park with a meetup.com group or something) out of the house. 

I read your post @TheVorticon. I get triggered very easily but try not to get too involved in the games and limit myself too a couple of hours but still don't how much is right.

I have made some positive plans @BlueBay like going to see a symphony with friends on saturday and feel a sense of accomplishment after doing other stuff that involves going out meeting and interacting. I've been told holidays are a time of rest and enrichment.

Hi @TheVorticon  thsnks for your reply. It's really hard. I enjoy sewing baby blankets but syopped a while ago. 
I do enjoy catching up with friends fir coffee but they all wirk during the week. 
doing a course - I don't think I could concentrate. I tried a massage therapist course a few years ago but pulled out after a few weeks as I couldn't concentrate. It was too hard. 
I don't know. I think I'm so unsure of myself and what I want. 
I was going to go to the beach this afternoon but it's too Smokey and I ha e asthma so I'm staying inside. 
I'll keep thinking.  

Hi @Everan fir me I need to watch what I spend. Weekends hubby and I tend to go out for a drive or Bunnings or sightseeing. 

but now I'm home I feel more alone than before. 

enjoy the time eith your friends on Saturday. 

It's definately good to go out with someone but it can be expensive little things @BlueBay . I enjoy reading but spend too much online i think. Thanks

I've been unemployed a fews times due to mental illness and otherwise. I recommend if you're ready and willing to get another job, put all of your effort into getting that job. Online job searching, networking with existing contacts, using support services where available. Apart from that, focus on doing the things you love as well as keeping on top of everyday household duties. Hope this helps!

Hi @Bezak482 

Welcome to the SANE forums!

It's great to have you here and thanks for telling the community a bit about yourself.  I'm sure the forum members will be able to offer you support, information and connection   

I'm the moderator this afternoon. Feel free to ask the SANE forum team or the members if you need help with how to use the forum. You might like to check out the Guidelines as they can be a pretty useful doc  https://saneforums.org/t5/help/faqpage#community-guidelines.

Hi @BlueBay 

I think, having a bit of structure in your day might help. I'm sorry you have lost your job. Focus in on the things you enjoy doing. Perhaps do a course- there are courses for free (Harvard University) and other courses too. Its a good time to take stock, and reflect, and prioritize, what is important to you, and your family. Its important to stay active during this time, and to be sensible too. Stay safe, and well my sister..

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance