Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Lissette
Casual Contributor

Tips to help yourself no matter the mood.

Hi, no matter what mood I'm in, I force myself to go to the gym and very morning, have a shower, tidy up the house before I go to work, cook healthy meals for my family and clean a lot. I finding cleaning it's helping me a lot, the more depressed I am, the more I clean. I try to do me time like having a bath or reading a book or watch my favourite show, I enjoy my company. I look after elderly people so I find I need to look after myself before I can look after someone else. I love my job but still find hard to talk when I'm depressed, nothing come out, I still looking for ways to help myself in that area. Have a good night and keep fighting, we are strong 💪 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Tips to help yourself no matter the mood.

@Lissette maybe you should use the new year to set a resolution to change jobs if work is depressing. It took me 7 years of hell to get my current job but I'm so proud of myself. It's cheerful work and each shift is a mood booster.

Cleaning is fine but you may want to be mindful about taking it too far and being at risk of developing OCD.

You may not agree but I think always doing for others and neglecting your own needs is masochistic. Just my opinion.

It's good you have fight in you. I'm a fighting independent spirit and that's the only way I've achieved any quality of life.

Re: Tips to help yourself no matter the mood.

Hi @Lissette 

Sounds like you work really hard on self care which is wonderful to read. While it can be so rewarding working in jobs that help others it can certainly cause us to feel a bit emotional or low like you have mentioned. Are there things you can do to create some further self care things- like maybe taking or planning a holiday to look forward to or on a smaller scale, finding a hobby in a group (check out your local council or community group for cool classes perhaps?) something that lets you indulge in an interest outside work and wellbeing perhaps? How are you going with this at the moment?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance