Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Partners who chose to stay for the long haul

@Former-Member A timely reminder it's time for me to find a counselling of some sort 

Hi @LizzieLou 

Hello @Scoo , @Carlachris , @Determined , @Former-Member , @Sophie1 

I have also found many times over the years that I was supposed to leave, as I knew he would not cope with life alone I could not. Now the belief is he must have not been so bad, he made a success of his life as people believe his version and mostly don't consider the fact I was the main breadwinner, and handle all the finances.

I just find it hard to understand the view that a person with a mental illness should just be abandoned.

Hi @LizzieLou  and welcome to the forums.

That is one of the reasons I didn't leave my estranged husband .... it seemed incongruous to leave someone because they were unwell ..... but unfortunately without insight and treatment, a mentally unwell person can over-extend or emotionally impact so badly on others arroyos then as to cause everyone else in the environment to be under mental health support and treatment.

I still feel it was the safest course of action for us, and he has now left under highly disrespectful and contentious circumstances .... but there too goes his privacy.  It will b come obvious progressively just how unwell he is, and by consequence, just how much we have handled "in-house" up to this point.  

I think the hardest part coming through all that was that he is actually allowed to be that unwell ... if he knows enough to conceal the symptoms, then he knows enough to know that he is unwell.

Hi @Frogger 

Come and meet some others that care for their partners.

There are a few in this discussion group who are also finding the going tough at the moment ... you are certainly not alone.

@LizzieLou  feeling invisible and unappreciated = ☹️images - 2020-02-02T093515.824.jpeg

It is well documented that patients with appropriate family support do far better than those who don't.

Hi @Frogger and welcome

to the forums 👋

I agree @Former-Member , @LizzieLou .....

Yup to that one @Former-Member 

I agree too @Former-Member 

Hello @Determined , @Faith-and-Hope , @LizzieLou , @Sophie1 , @@

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance