Skip to main content

Forums

/Forums
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

kristin
Senior Contributor

A huge thank you

Dear all, 

I just spent some time pouring something out in response to the forum "questionnaire", including editing it down to 300 words, and then realised it probably isn't really answering the question at all! Woman LOL But it is something I want to say, and not just to SANE but to everyone on both forums - so I will post it here in the hope some of you may stumble across it.

SANE's forums are an incredible gift. They have enabled connection between socially isolated and geographically disparate people who'd probably never connect any other way. Yet we share a strong common bond - we all struggle (directly or indirectly) with the sometimes profound and debilitating effects of mental illness on our own lives, and those around us.

Having lived with a mental illness (with multiple diagnoses) since at least my teens, it has mainly been a long and painful journey to find some understanding, insight and self-compassion. Discovering that this journey also has gifts to offer has been a revelation, after decades of mostly suffering. The light at the end of the tunnel was neither a cruel joke nor an oncoming freight train (although it seemed like it at times!) - the light is real. I find new ways to enjoy and share this every day. That I came into this knowledge and acceptance so recently, just prior to the forums commencing, has meant that I'm able to engage very honestly with others about both the painful realities and the potential gifts.

This is one of my gifts from suffering with mental illness. That sharing my journey might in some way lighten the burden or enlighten the road for a fellow journeyer. For me this is now very central to the whole purpose of my life. And yet the reality is I am not "cured", simply blessed with good self-management to work at being and remaining well. For me the challenge of the forum is to engage with people as I can (sometimes that means not at all) so that this remains a gift, rather than falling into the trap of turning it into "work" which feels like a burden instead.

What else can I say except thank you?

And far from incidentally - responding to others in painful places, which I have visited or lived in, helps me to gather up and connect ever growing numbers of pieces from my own once-shattered life.

Blessings to you all,

Kristin

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance